Archivists and Librarians in the History of the Health Sciences (ALHHS) and the Medical Museums Association (MeMA) are holding their 2018 annual meeting in Los Angeles, CA from May 9-10. The meeting will be held at the UCLA Library Conference Center in the Charles E. Young Research Library; accommodations are at the brand new Meyer and Renee Luskin Conference Center's hotel in the middle of campus. Once you make the trek from LAX to campus, look forward to a terrific program, comfortable accommodations, lovely weather, a delightful happy hour and annual dinner, and lots of extra tours and workshops.
Our conference brings together archivists, librarians, museum professionals, educators, historians and representatives of allied professions and it is the place for our community to engage, network, and learn from each otherís experiences. The advent of social media, big data, and digital environments is changing the nature of the records we collect, their dissemination, as well as educational practices. The impact of this shift challenges some theoretical and methodological paradigms of our professions. The goal of this meeting is to examine critical issues in documenting, preserving, accessing, and teaching with health sciences collections in the newly emerging landscape.
Information to Help You Plan Your Trip
Information to Help You Navigate the UCLA Campus
- DIRECTIONS: Step-by-step directions to accompany Maps 1 through 5
- MAP 1: Tour 1 (Wednesday, May 9): Getting from the Luskin Center to Library Special Collections at the Biomedical Library
- MAP 2: Tour 2 (Wednesday, May 9): Getting from the Luskin Center to Mildred Mathias Botanical Gardens
- MAP 3: Dinner (Wednesday, May 9): Getting from the Luskin Center to the UCLA Faculty Center
- MAP 4: Meeting (Thursday, May 10): Walking from the Luskin Center to the Charles E. Young Research Library
- MAP 5: Meeting (Thursday, May 10): Using Campus Shuttle Bus to get from the Luskin Center to the Charles E. Young Research Library
- WHERE TO EAT: Links to local restaurant guides and websites
Advisory about lodging
The ALHHS/MeMA meeting traditionally benefits from the contract that AAHM makes for hotel accommodations. AAHM reached its maximum room block allotments at the Luskin (note that people who already made reservations are fine).
For alternate hotels, please see instructions under "Meeting Hotel" on the AAHM 2018 annual meeting website (http://www.histmed.org/meetings/los-angeles-2018) to make your room reservation. Act soon, because rooms will fill quickly!